Friday, September 12, 2008

taking music offstage

Trying to think about my favorite songs for last couple of months, I realized with great surprise that most of them were used in one show or another. In directing school, we always made fun of people that are using their playlist to illustrate the performance with no real connection to the show itself. Just a good way to promote the music that they like. I was surprised to see my final list: most of the songs were part of performances because they fit well with particular moment not because I liked them in a particular way outside the show. Afterwards I started listening them more intensively and got addicted. In a way, I plagiaristically identified with my shows and I started to live in the frameworks that I set on stage. What else did I take from stage to everyday life? Have to think more about it, because my shows are about me but on the other hand I am about my shows and other stuff that I create.

This is my short playlist:

1. Bauhaus – Antonin Artaud
2. Graham Reynolds – your move, peterbilt
3. Jay-Jay Johanson – Alone Again
4. Jelly Roll Morton – Tia Juana
5. Julie London – Come on-a My House
6. Beirut – Scenic World
7. Diamanda Galás – 25 Minutes to Go
8. Ian Dury – Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
9. B.B. King – B.B. Boogie
10. Billie Holiday – Don't Explain

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails