Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Pleasant Days (2002)


Director: Kornél Mundruczó

Kornél Mundruczó is one of my favorite Hungarian directors and I went to this movie with a big open heart, not to mention that my friend Gergo who took me there was completely ecstatic about his latest movie, Delta. But surprise! With my entire positive attitude, this was one of my worst experiences in a Hungarian cinema. This movie just doesn't work. I accuse the script, the actors and the director. The good image makes it better a bit but at some points you have the feeling that you are in a hip hop music video from Eastern Europe with all the urban clichés of dirt possible. Minimalism just doesn't work in all cases, even if I am a fan of this aesthetic. Without a strong plot, without strong actors that have something to show and some scenes to act, you can't make a whole movie. I've read somewhere that 3/4 is improvised and the director was pretty proud of that...I won't make a fuss out of it unless I want to blame someone else for my failure. And this is the perfect case that improvisation doesn't work all the time. Or we are not all Godards... But there is another big problem here: by making this extreme micro-realist experiment, Mundruczó falls into the trap of being a misogynistic author. What’s the purpose of all this? One can fairly say: abusing his women characters and his feminine cast in a pleasure of masculine domination. And that is done pretty well. A huge disappointment. I have to see Delta to wipe this bitter taste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails