Tuesday, March 24, 2009

men's rights?

Today I looked for some articles on google news with the search word feminist. I am amazed how they lead you to all the Christian right newspapers. Is it possible that they actually encourage a certain line of thought with their too-human search engines? Anyway, at some point, I ended up with this article: First Father Falls For Feminist Fraud, Fails Fatherhood. Please pay attention to the usage of equality and gender aware discourse, how twisted it can get. I see this type of writing as pure mockery, making fun of struggles for rights for decades, of personal grief and pain. Violence is not a civil right, in any type of democracy that you can dream of. If fighting domestic violence and misogyny is gender based discrimination, then this type of discrimination is needed. I am particularly touched by this subject because I know the side effects of gender mainstreaming in Europe and what for what incredible backlash it was used. To the point of closing women’s libraries for not having a male perspective. And apparently these supporters of male rights are doing it for “making things more equal between the genders” and not for supporting patriarchy and their undeserved privileges:

As a fathers’ advocate, I had hope when President Obama was elected. Some expressed disappointment that the author of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) had become Vice President. They feared more gender-based discrimination.
Being a liberal egalitarian, I was optimistic. My president had said he respects our civil rights. I believed all we needed to do was show President Obama and Vice President Biden how false allegations of domestic violence hurt 170,000 children a year.1,2 How VAWA has lead to uncontrollable corruption from individual shelters all the way to the US Department of State.

I was sure President Obama would agree that every parent deserves due process. Those parents deserve a trial with a jury of their peers, before the possibility of losing custody of their children. I wanted to show him how many fathers are absent from their children’s lives, by no fault of their own.But before I knew it, President Obama disappointed me. He also disappointed millions of fathers who are grieving the unjust absence of their children. Instead of making things more equal between the genders, we now have an Office on Women and Children. And we don’t have one for men and their children.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails