Sunday, September 26, 2010

history of theatre and racism



An African-American student is denied entry to a theater. He keeps his hands in his pockets to demonstrate that his protest is nonviolent, 1961.

Writing about Western theatre, I observe such a long and unacknowledged history of racism and patriarchy starting with the first Greek tragedy. This important part of history is perceived as timeless and easily acceptable by theatre makers everywhere, who in turn, are questioning the validity or the necessity of a "leftist" critique. The image above, even if shocking and shameful for American theatre, easily becomes acceptable. I am quite curious how many performance-makers and theatre critics would react to the recent closing of the only Romani theatre in France based on racial reasons. They would probably say (as I heard it before) that it was not that good anyway and the high culture won't suffer because of institutionalized racism. I will follow the reactions and I want to see that I was wrong.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails